Re: [thredds] Question about FMRC time discrepancy

On 8/12/16 2:45 PM, tom cook wrote:
HI
I have been serving gridded surface currents using FMRC aggregations
of hourly netcdf files. Yes, I know this is not supposed to work, but
it has been working fine (as far as I can tell) and much faster than
ncml aggregations. Anyway, when I go the dataset's TDS page I see:

TimeCoverage:
Start: 2011-10-01T00:00:00Z
End: 2016-08-12T18:37:04.088Z

The end time here is obviously the time of the page loading.

The end time in the NetCDF Subset page is shown by
2016-08-12T16:00:00Z. The last time in WMS is also
2016-08-12T16:00:00.000Z.

Now, when I go to the OPENDAP page, this is what I see

 time: Array of 64 bit Reals [time = 0..42606]
long_name: Forecast time for ForecastModelRunCollection
standard_name: time
units: hours since 2011-10-01T00:00:00Z
missing_value: NaN
_CoordinateAxisType: Time

So, from this I can assume that the last time in the data set is
2011-10-01 0:00Z + 42606 hrs. However, this is not equal to
2016-08-12T16:00:00.000Z, but rather 2016-08-10T07:00:00Z

No you can't [time = 0..42606] is not the values in the dataset but rather the indexes.

My first instinct is that there are missing data files, and the
aggregations are dumb, and assume that each file I add to it is an
additional hour from my dataset start time. I will run through and
look for missing data, but is correct thinking? Is there a better
practice for using FMRC aggregations for large dataset with missing
times?

It is likely that you are missing data files or possibly some files are corrupted. As noted above the numbers you see are indexes and not values but you could figure out how many hourly records are missing using this number versus the expected number of records.

Dave