Re: [thredds] Read-Only GribIndex cache conflict

  • To: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Read-Only GribIndex cache conflict
  • From: Dan Swank - NOAA Affiliate <dan.swank@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:55 -0400
I have a 3 tier server environment.   And the production
will be load balenced.   So the sense is that we cannot
afford to have 4+ TDM servers all indexing 32+ Million file units
even semi-regularly.   Too much I/O.   So I am trying to make
a master TDM server that upkeeps the GribIndex, while the
TDS server(s) run from a read-only copy of that.
The TDM master will signal all TDS instances when it finishes a pass.

Perhaps I am overlooking something obvious
about how to set this up better.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:07 PM, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Dan:
>
> A a read-only GribIndex Cache doesnt make too much sense. Why read-only?
>
> John
>
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Dan Swank - NOAA Affiliate <
> dan.swank@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> (v.4.6.2)  For a few THREDDS instances I need to run
>> the server from a read-only GribIndex Cache that TDM may update
>> on other servers ~ and this file system is shared with various
>>  virtual machines for static use.
>>
>> I've run into an issue where the featureCollections will
>> work just fine under the above arrangement, but if attempting to use
>> Services [OpenDap/Ncss] on a directory listed file units - outside
>> the featureCollections, would attempt to create a .ncx3 into this
>>  GribIndex cache location - and fail.
>>
>> Is there currently a way a workaround?
>>
>> Being able to configure a fail-over location to wirte
>> on-demand non-FC, gribIndex files may be needed.
>>
>> ---
>> Dan Swank
>> NOMADS System Support, STG Inc. - Federal Government Contractor
>> NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
>> Data Stewardship Devision (DSD)
>> 151 Patton Ave
>> Asheville, NC 28801
>> dan.swank@xxxxxxxx
>> Phone: 828-271-4007
>> Customer Support:  828-271-4800 or http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/contact
>>
>> The newly formed NCEI merges the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC),
>> the National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC), and the National Oceanographic
>> Data Center (NODC).
>>
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter
>> Twitter: @NOAANCDC @NOAAOceanData

Dan Swank
NOMADS System Support, STG Inc. - Federal Government Contractor
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
Data Stewardship Devision (DSD)
151 Patton Ave
Asheville, NC 28801
dan.swank@xxxxxxxx
Phone: 828-271-4007
Customer Support:  828-271-4800 or http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/contact

The newly formed NCEI merges the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), the
National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC), and the National Oceanographic
Data Center (NODC).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter Twitter:
@NOAANCDC @NOAAOceanData

I am not a Federal Employee.
Any opinions expressed in this message are mine personally and
do not represent official positions from STG Inc, ERT, NCEI, or NOAA