Re: [thredds] The IOSP interface has a new method (reacquire); how to implement?

  • To: Roland Schweitzer - NOAA Affiliate <roland.schweitzer@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] The IOSP interface has a new method (reacquire); how to implement?
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:06:38 -0600
Hi Roland:

Sorry I forgot about this. Heres a bit more info.

The idea is that we can want to cache the NetcdfFile objects in memory.
Previously, our ability to cache was limited by the IOSP holding on to
finite system resources like file handles. So typical use case is for the
IOSP to close its file on release() and to reopen it on acquire(). Probably
safe for you to implement as NOOPs.

/**
 * Release any system resources like file handles.
 * Optional, implement only if you are able to reacquire.
 * Used when object is made inactive in cache.
 * @throws IOException
 */
void release() throws IOException;

/**
 * Reacquire any resources like file handles
 * Used when reactivating in cache.
 * @throws IOException
 */
void reacquire() throws IOException;