[thredds] Accessing THREDDS from Java

Sorry for posting this question on the mail list, however I could not
find the answer after googling.

The THREDDS page [1] lists the supported protocols: "OPeNDAP, OGC WMS
and WCS, HTTP, and other remote data access protocols."
Also, it is noted that "The Netcdf-Java/CDM library reads NetCDF, OpenDAP, ..."

My question is :
1) what are other protocols that are supported by TDS?
2) which protocol is the fastest? For example, has the lowest
overheads in network I/O or creating output data, etc or their is no
definite answer?
3) is it possible to use Netcdf-Java to access TDS using other
supported protocols or Netcdf-Java can access TDS only via OpenDAP?

Thanks

[1] http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/TDS.html