Re: [thredds] Help with GRIB encoding - what is "reference time of data" ??

Hi John-

On 11/26/13 8:24 AM, John Caron wrote:
Thanks for your ideas, I hadnt considered leaving "reference time" as
otherwise undefined. The downside would be that GRIB will then be
different from, say, netCDF-CF forecast model collections.

Isn't "run time" a construct of the CDM/FMRC, not CF? I don't see reference to "run time" in the CF document. If that's the case, you could do whatever you want. ;-)

Examining the NCEP IDD feed, 13 out of 400K GRIB-2 records have this
feild set to 0, the rest to 1:

significanceOfReference
      0: count = 13
      1: count = 406196

Im not sure if these are miscoded or not. What do you think the
difference is between "Analysis" and "Start of Forecast" ?

It would be helpful to know what those 13 are to know if they are miscoded. I would imagine that a reanalysis grid might use analysis, or perhaps the RTMA, but for either of those, I would expect there to be more in your collection.

Do you have a script/code that can easily check this? If so, share it and I (and others) could run it over some of our grib collections.

Don