Re: [thredds] Is there way to automatically override defaultColorScaleRange in wmsConfig.xml?

Hi Joe,

The Thredds team has given thought to what you are describing regarding letting ncWMS figure out color ranges automatically in the past. We've concluded that there tends to be too much variability within data sets to set up a working system for automatic color scale determination. For instance, if you consider a "simple" variable such as temperature, you can imagine that surface air temperatures are very different from air temperatures from higher in the atmosphere. Allowing automatic determination of the color scale would either smear too large of a range together, or perhaps require figuring out a color scale for each individual layer. Another issue emerges when considering time series of data or model output. If a color scale is established based on the first iteration in the time series, and the values subsequently travel out of the range of the initial iteration, there is a problem.

So, we don't have a good solution at this point for what you are asking.

Regards,
  Lansing Madry
  Unidata
  Boulder, Colorado