Re: [thredds] data repository survey

Hi Simon,

> There is another repository that has some similarities to RAMADDA:
> GeoNetwork. GeoNetwork also has a simple http repository for files which I
> would really like to replace with RAMADDA's scientific content management
> system and it seems a natural fit for RAMADDA to provide metadata fragments
> from its content types to fill out some of the metadata fields in
> GeoNetwork metadata records (we already can harvest metadata from THREDDS
> to fill out fragments of ISO metadata records). On the flip side,
> GeoNetwork has pretty good support for a lot of metadata standards
> (especially ISO and profiles) etc, good basis in Lucene search, some nice
> metadata catalog operations (harvesting protocols etc) and nice acceptance
> from a lot of organisations so there are benefits for RAMADDA if GeoNetwork
> was to handle the metadata side of RAMADDA.

I like Gerry hadn't seen GeoNetwork in a while.  It has really come along.

I'm really impressed with the number of harvesters that have been
implemented:

http://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/2.10.0/eng/users/managing_metadata/harvesting/index.html

> I've had quite a look at and evaluation of RAMADDA and am definitely
> interested in fostering direct, resourced collaboration on bringing the
> benefits of both RAMADDA and GeoNetwork together. I am a member of the
> GeoNetwork Project Steering Committee and would definitely like to discuss
> this further!

I think that would be a good idea to explore further. Maybe we should skype
sometime?

PS: Also fixed a nagging bug sometime ago with the RAMADDA THREDDS
> harvester (1.5a) a few months ago - but never got round to supplying it to
> you - can I email you the simple patch?

Yes, please send me the patch. Thanks.

-Jeff