Re: [thredds] Problems with large aggregations on JPL THREDDS?

> Jeff - we've been considering doing the same thing using our granule
> level Geoportal Server... Allow the user to do a rich search, identify
> the granules in a collection that they want, then dynamically generate
> an NCML aggregation and present that back to them (would be cool if it
> could be automatically loaded int our Live Access Server as well). We
> weren't thinking about it as a way to overcome performance problems
> with large aggregations though.... We were considering it as a way of
> building on-demand aggregations of other feature types like point and
> profile data.

We've built those kind of point services out in the NLAS-Point data
framework in RAMADDA:
http://ramadda.org/repository/alias/pointdata

This provides a full stack of services for discrete observation data - data
file readers, spatial/temporal/faceted metadata ingest, search and browse,
collection and granule level subset, format conversion and product
generation, web service APIs, etc.

This work came out of the LiDAR arena so we're used to dealing with very
large data sets.  We have been generalizing it to address a broader range
of data and we'll be building out more services as the work progresses.

-Jeff