Re: [thredds] [idvdevelopers] Upcoming TDS upgrade on motherlode.ucar.edu (GRIB variable names will change)

  • To: Ethan Davis <edavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] [idvdevelopers] Upcoming TDS upgrade on motherlode.ucar.edu (GRIB variable names will change)
  • From: "Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate)" <don.murray@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:19:09 -0700
Ethan-

Thanks for the notification.

On 12/14/12 9:15 PM, Ethan Davis wrote:

We plan to upgrade the Unidata TDS to 4.3 shortly after IDV 4.0 is
released. We hope this will occur in the next few weeks but will
provide more information on the timeline as we move forward. In the
mean time, please test your scripts and tools against the Unidata Test
TDS [4].

What does "shortly after" mean? While a 4.0 alpha release is available in the nightly build, some IDV users might be reluctant to use an alpha release. I'm concerned that "real world" use will uncover more problems, particularly with local grib files.

While I've been working closely with the IDV Development Team on getting the necessary code changes, IDV 4.0 still needs work to get it right and lots of testing. The code changes also affect the McIDAS-V developers and users. So, I hope that once IDV 4.0 is released, there will be a significant amount of time (1 month?) for users to download, install and test it before a switch occurs on motherlode.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES