[thredds] how to run two THREDDS instances on the same machine?

Hi THREDDS Users,
We're trying to run two instances of TDS on the same machine. One has the
latest stable release and is intended for public use. The other has the
latest snapshot (alpha/beta release) and is intended for private use. We
essentially wanted to start testing new features in TDS 4.3, especially
with regards to transitioning our data to CF 1.6 for use by ncSOS.

To do this, I set up a separate Tomcat instance running on a separate port
number from our public TDS. While this works fine within our firewall, we
wanted to expose the test TDS through our proxy so that external developers
helping us with issues (e.g. ASA for ncSOS issues, or Unidata for TDS
issues) could access our test TDS outside of our firewall. But the problem
is that both versions end up pointing to the same proxy URL, as I explain
below. Here is the set up:

Behind our firewall (not publicly accessible):
TDS 4.2: http://lawelawe.soest.hawaii.edu:8080/thredds
TDS 4.3: http://lawelawe.soest.hawaii.edu:8082/thredds

Proxy set up (for public access):
TDS 4.2: http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds
TDS 4.3: http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test

The problem is that last URL for TDS 4.3:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test. This automatically redirects to
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds (TDS 4.2). It would seem that the URL
path for TDS must as a requirement have a base directory of "thredds". is
that true? Even though I have tried to name the TDS 4.3 proxy
"thredds-test", TDS apparently automatically redirects this to "thredds",
which is our TDS 4.2. I have tried renaming the "thredds" directory within
Tomcat's webapps and content directories without success. So... anybody
have a suggestion for a workaround?? I'm crossing my fingers that somebody
on this list has run across this same problem. If so, I would much
appreciate any tips!
Cheers,
John Maurer
Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa