Re: [thredds] crossdomain.xml

Cross domain files are used by Adobe products like Flash and Flex to add some security to which hosts can access your server. I use thredds services within Flex applications we've developed in Adobe Flex to visualize climate model data. To be able to use Flash/Flex with Thredds services you need to have a cross domain file installed on the same machine that hosts the thredds web application.

It should be installed at ${tomcat_home}/webapps/ROOT/crossdomain.xml

There are lots of variations on what you can put in the cross domain file. The sample one the developer attached basically says any host can connect to this server (with Flash/Flex applications). There have also been some changes on the cross domain syntax from Flash Player 9 to Flash Player 10.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer9_security.html

As an example, here is our working cross domain file.

<cross-domain-policy>
<site-control permitted-cross-domain-policies="master-only"/>
<allow-access-from domain="*.coas.oregonstate.edu"/>
</cross-domain-policy>

Since we host the thredds server and the Flex web applications on the same machine, I lock down access to only allow hosts within the coas.oregonstate.edu domain. This means Flash/Flex web applications hosted on yourdomain.com can not access our thredds services (primarily WMS for mapping applications).

If any of you Thredds gurus are interested, here is a link to our Adobe Flex web application that maps climate model data via Thredds WMS.
http://regclim.coas.oregonstate.edu/visualization/rcd/regional-climate-downloader/index.html

Hope this helps.