Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:23:56 -0400
From: Jeremy Cothran <jeremy.cothran@xxxxxxxxx>
To: thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [thredds] ncWMS and vector plots, point time-series as JSON

I'm working to provide browser/openlayers/javascript type GIS map images of
wind or current vector fields as barbs or arrows(speed+direction) from provided
model or in-situ U/V components and when clicking on a map point providing
time-series for the data at that point.  Currently I'm having to go through
some intermediate steps of converting data to shapefiles(which take up storage
space) for mapserver based vector styling and/or generated image files at a
fixed zoom level(less space used, but still some supporting setup and
processes).

Saw this earlier thread about possible thredds support for these vector type
plots(from u/v components), but haven't seen other mention or examples since
and just checking to see if any updates.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/thredds/2009/msg00151.html

When doing a getFeatureInfo with ncWMS it's possible to get a single time point
- if ncWMS/thredds could support URL references for a time-series at a point
returned as JSON, that would also be very handy substitute for existing work
I'm doing writing my own custom wrapper scripts(pyDAP to JSON).

Thanks
Jeremy Cothran
University of South Carolina
SECOORA