Re: [thredds] nco as a web service

We're looking into the possibly of merging/cohabitating the 52N WPS server with
THREDDS.  One benefit of the 52N WPS implementation is that it can facilitate
the upload of processing algorithms for remote execution.  These algorithms can
be implemented in Java, Python or R,  It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to
put a front end on NCO by wrapping it in a WPS interface as the 52N server does
the same thing for ArcServer and Grass (among others).  We're doing a lot of
work with climate change scenarios and we're heavily I/O bound on the data
input side.  Putting an infrastructure in place that would allow us to bring
the processing to the data is one way we hope to deal with this and do out part
to avoid clogging the tubes.

For more information concerning the 52N WPS work look here:
http://52north.org/communities/geoprocessing/wps/index.html

If anyone's interested in joining or following this project let me know.

Tom Kunicki
Center for Integrated Data Analytics
U.S. Geological Survey
8505 Research Way