Re: [thredds] NetCDF-ToolsUI, IDV

  • Subject: Re: [thredds] NetCDF-ToolsUI, IDV
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:43:57 -0600
It looks like we could adopt IDV style jnlp file, and save everyone a lot of trouble including us. Ill try it out and let you know. thanks

On 3/24/2012 2:15 PM, Nathan Potter wrote:
On Mar 24, 2012, at 11:34 AM, John Caron wrote:

Hi Nathan:

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Both ideas below sound interesting. Im not clear exactly how you are using the
jnlp. Are you doing the same thing the TDS does to allow viewers to start up
with a particular opendap dataset URL?

Well, probably I'm doing the same thing the TDS did a some point in the past. :)

Currently I deploy Hyrax with prototype JNLP files for each application (Well
not AutoPlot, as I described below). Dereferencing a web start link associated
a dataset causes Hyrax to grab the prototype JNLP, edit the command line
arguments for the webstart application, and then return the file to the
requesting client.

Can you send me an example Hyrax URL that fetches the jnlp?
Here's the viewers page for a dataset served on Hyrax:

http://test.opendap.org:8080/opendap/webstart/viewers?dapService=/opendap/hyrax&datasetID=/coverage/mday/PH2006060_2006090_ssta.nc

The IDV link returns a useful JNLP because the the JNLP basically points to the latest
version and the resources are described in a file held on the IDV server. So when the
update the version and change the jar dependancies the "world" doesn't have to
get a new JNLP file.

The ToolsUI link returns a stale JNLP because the version referenced by the
prototype JNLP file bundled in Hyrax references an older version of the NetCDF
ToolsUI, which depends on a file that is no longer hosted at the UNIDATA site:

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException:
     Unable to load resource:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/v4.2/webstart/bufrTables.jar

Does that help?

Also I edited my spastic description of AutoPlot…

John