Re: [thredds] OLFS and/or BES configuration to obtain a dynamic refresh of existing files ...

  • To: Claude DEROGNAT <cderognat@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] OLFS and/or BES configuration to obtain a dynamic refresh of existing files ...
  • From: Nathan Potter <ndp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:09:08 -0800

On Feb 23, 2012, at 4:24 AM, Claude DEROGNAT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My IT said that the file I send you is an old one. My problem is probably
> link to my THREEDS catalog.
> The question is so probably to threeds mailing list. I send them my question
> on Monday just after your message and I still have no response back ...
> So, I send you my catalog if you can have a look to it you may find why there
> a mismatch between
> http://web.aria.fr:443/thredds/dodsC/CHIMERE@CAMAC@reference@p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc.html
> and
> http://web.aria.fr:443/LENVIS/CHIMERE/CAMAC/reference/p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc.html

Claude,

I look at the first URL, saw that it was a instance of THREDDS Data Server (a
fairly recent version 4.0.26) and I forwarded you message to their support list.

It was only later that I realized the second URL is what appears to be a VERY
old (circa version 1.5.0), locally compiled, version of our Hyrax server.

So you are running two entirely different implementations of an OPeNDAP server.

You can see this clearly when you look at one of the collections with a browser:

    TDS: http://web.aria.fr:443/thredds/dodsC/CHIMERE@CAMAC@reference@p02/

    Hyrax: http://web.aria.fr:443/LENVIS/CHIMERE/CAMAC/reference/p02/

> why the second is continuously updated but doesn't allow the access to the
> whole set of variables stored in NetCdf file.
> Why the first one are not continuously updated even if the date in the
> threeds catalogs presentation always mentioned the right modified time ...

So with regards to how often datasets are "updated"  - this is a function of
how the servers are implemented. I don't know what is going on in the TDS, but
in the Hyrax server each new request gets the file information regarding file
size and last modified times from the files system on which the dataset
resides. Hyrax also doesn't cache responses, so it will re-interrogate the file
every time you ask for something  in or about the file.

The TDS folks are better informed to comment on what's going on in the TDS with
regards to this.

Now I think you are also saying that these two URLs:

http://web.aria.fr:443/thredds/dodsC/CHIMERE@CAMAC@reference@p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc
http://web.aria.fr:443/LENVIS/CHIMERE/CAMAC/reference/p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc

Reference the exact same file on the exact same file system. Is that the case?

If so, the fact that the data structure representations generated by each
server for this file are so different is somewhat surprising:

From the TDS:

http://web.aria.fr:443/thredds/dodsC/CHIMERE@CAMAC@reference@p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc.dds

Dataset {
    String transverse_mercator;
    Float32 x[lon = 101];
    Float32 y[lat = 101];
    Float32 lat[time = 48][lat = 101][lon = 101];
    Float32 lon[time = 48][lat = 101][lon = 101];
    String projectionCoordSys;
    Float32 height[time = 48][height = 25][lat = 101][lon = 101];
    Float32 time[time = 48];
    Float32 Time[Time = 48];
    Float32 REL[time = 48][lat = 101][lon = 101];
    Float32 PHI[time = 48][height = 25][lat = 101][lon = 101];
    Float32 M001S001[time = 48][height = 25][lat = 101][lon = 101];
} CHIMERE%40CAMAC%40reference%40p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc;

From (very old) Hyrax:

http://web.aria.fr:443/LENVIS/CHIMERE/CAMAC/reference/p02/CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc.dds

Dataset {
    String transverse_mercator;
    Grid {
      Array:
        Float32 x[lon = 101];
      Maps:
        Float32 lon[lon = 101];
    } x;
    Grid {
      Array:
        Float32 y[lat = 101];
      Maps:
        Float32 lat[lat = 101];
    } y;
    String projectionCoordSys;
    Grid {
      Array:
        Float32 REL[time = 48][lat = 101][lon = 101];
      Maps:
        Float32 time[time = 48];
        Float32 lat[lat = 101];
        Float32 lon[lon = 101];
    } REL;
    Grid {
      Array:
        Float32 PHI[time = 48][height = 25][lat = 101][lon = 101];
      Maps:
        Float32 time[time = 48];
        Float32 height[height = 25];
        Float32 lat[lat = 101];
        Float32 lon[lon = 101];
    } PHI;
    Grid {
      Array:
        Float32 M001S001[time = 48][height = 25][lat = 101][lon = 101];
      Maps:
        Float32 time[time = 48];
        Float32 height[height = 25];
        Float32 lat[lat = 101];
        Float32 lon[lon = 101];
    } M001S001;
    Float32 Time[Time = 48];
} CF_CHIMERE_20120115_d03.nc;

This may be expected behavior, or not. I am tempted to say that you should
upgrade both the TDS Hyrax to the latest releases before we dig to deeply...

Anyone else care to comment?

Thanks,

Nathan

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        +1.541.231.3317