[thredds] inconsistent catalog hierarchy with catalogRef

I am trying work with a catalog as a DAG of datasets. When I get the children of a catalogRef node, I get different behavior depending on how many datasets are in the referenced catalog. If there is only one dataset, then it is returned as the sole member of the List. If the catalog has more than one dataset, I get the catalog itself alone as a dataset in the List. Using getProxyDataset() has the same problem.

Is this a "feature"? Between this, and my inability to use "name" or "alias" (earlier email), the API is making it hard to do what I want with the catalogs.

Thanks,
Doug

P.S. I'm using a recent 4.2 release of NetCDF-Java.