Re: [thredds] future TDS WCS support for irregular/curvilinear grids?

  • To: John Maurer <jmaurer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] future TDS WCS support for irregular/curvilinear grids?
  • From: Ben Domenico <Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:25:38 -0600
Hi John et al.,

I am currently at the OGC Technical Committee meetings so your note is quite
timely.  My concept of how this sort of capability might be worked into the
standards -- from the netCDF point of view anyway -- is via the CF
conventions.    We are currently working on a CF extension for the OGC
netCDF core standard.  At the same time we are working on a CF-netCDF
encoding standard for WCS 2.0.  But my understanding is that
irregular/curvilinear grids are not formally adopted yet as part of the CF
conventions.  When these grids officially become part of CF, we can then do
a revised extension to CF-netCDF and to WCS.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the status of irregular/curvilinear
grids in CF.  If you have suggestions for better ways to accomplish this,
let me know.   But for now this is the general outline of the plan for
getting this into the formal standards world.

For what it's worth.
-- Ben