Re: [thredds] Disabling the cache for file that are routinely overwritten

On 5/20/2011 3:31 PM, tom cook wrote:
In our situation, we are creating regional data files of ocean surface
currents. These currents are calculated using inputs from a network of
HF radar sites maintained by a number of institutions which are
received at our central server at various intervals. For example, at
1:00 UTC, our 0:00 UTC file is created and may only include data from
a small number of stations. Over the course of the next hour, we may
receive more data from radar stations to contribute to the 0:00 UTC
file. Typically, after 2-3 hours we have received most of the data
that is used in our file. Sometimes stations may be down for 5-10hrs,
once they come back online, those older data files arrive on our
central server and old data files are overwritten.
Thanks for bringing this up Rich!

1) im guessing that it will be OS dependent as to what happens if a file is deleted while being read. what OS are you using?

2) what if you didnt overwrite files, but just switched a symbolic link when the new one is ready, wait a bit, then delete old one?

we'd still need to get the caching right, but it would be clearer what to do about it. in java 7 we will be able to get notifications.