Re: [thredds] TDS initialization

Hi Roland:

Before I respond. can you give a rough idea of your metric for "big" is  (or
how many dataset elements and catalogRefs).

Thanks,

-Roy

On Jan 4, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Roland Schweitzer wrote:

> Thanks John.  Among the groups we collaborate with there are some folks that
> are quite concerned about the scaling issue.  Personally, my direct
> experience at this point that indicates that the performance is just fine (at
> least so far) even with our largest catalogs.
>
> What's the experience of the list?  Are folks seeing unacceptable TDS
> initialization because of time spend reading catalogs?  The thread from John
> Maurer about aggregation access issues notwithstanding.
>
> Roland
>
> On 01/03/2011 07:34 PM, John Caron wrote:
>> On 1/3/2011 10:53 AM, Roland Schweitzer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're starting to put together some "big" server-side configuration
>>> catalogs (both with "lots" of dataset elements and "lots" of catalogRef
>>> elements).  We are wondering about the process TDS goes through to read the
>>> catalog when is starts.  What gets cached?  Does it have a way to know a
>>> referenced catalog is unchanged?  When do referenced catalogs get scanned?
>>> And so on.
>>>
>>> Is there some documentation or a flow chart on how TDS initializes itself?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roland

>> Hi Roland:
>>
>> The sad answer is theres not much documentation. Weve been on the verge of
>> redoing the initialization sequence for a few years now, so weve been
>> waiting so we can document the clean, cool refactor instead of the crufty,
>> lame current one.
>>
>> Anyway, the TDS reads in all the config catalogs at startup. It caches all
>> of them, and uses the "expires" attribute on the catalog to decide if/when
>> it needs to reread a catalog.  It needs to read all catalogs, including
>> catalogRef, because it has to know what the possible dataset URLs are, and
>> there is no contract that a client has to read a catalog first.
>>
>> Obviously this doesnt scale forever. Ethan can probably fill in some details.
>>
>> see:
>> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/catalog/v1.0.2/InvCatalogSpec.html#catalog
>>

>> John

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst