[thredds] aggregation caching: cache cleared when Tomcat restarted?

Hi All,
I recently upgraded to TDS 4.2. A few of my datasets use a joinExisting NcML
aggregation, such as:

        <aggregation dimName="time" type="joinExisting" timeUnitsChange="true">
          <scan location="/export/lawelawe1/model/tide/netcdf_data/mhi/elev/"
suffix=".nc"/>
        </aggregation>

I've noticed that these take several minutes to load the first time I try
accessing them in TDS (such as clicking on the OPeNDAP service) each time I
have restarted Tomcat. Does this mean that the aggregation cache is being wiped
when I restart Tomcat? I have set my aggregation caching in threddsConfig.xml
as so:

  <AggregationCache>
    <scour>24 hours</scour>
    <maxAge>30 days</maxAge>
  </AggregationCache>

This led me to believe that the cache would persist for 30 days, regardless of
restarting Tomcat. Is that an incorrect assumption or am I doing something
wrong?
Thanks,
John Maurer
Hawaii Ocean Observing System (HiOOS)