[thredds] Subsetting thredds catalog changes catalog

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the thredds catalog service to subset a catalog as per
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/CatalogService.html
.

In particular I'm using the ?dataset={ID} form to return an xml catalog
subset.

This works fine when the dataset I'm trying to subset is generated by a
datasetScan element, but when the dataset has been manually specified,
performing this operation appears to change the servers copy of the
parent catalog to match the subset.  I've tried this in thredds 4.0, 4.1
and 4.2 (downloaded today).

I'm using this service to try and resolve the metadata and services that
are available for a particular dataset so that I can then make use of
this information.

I have this problem with the default catalog installed with thredds as
well as other catalogs.  For example if I use the following access url:

http://localhost:8081/thredds/catalog.xml?dataset=testDataset2

When I next use http://localhost:8081/thredds/catalog.xml I get the same
catalog as that returned by the first url (i.e. the parent catalog
becomes the subset).  I also can't subset any other target datasets that
were originally defined in the catalog before doing this operation.

The catalog is restored when I restart the server.

Am I doing something wrong here or am I misinterpreting this?

Craig Jones
eMII Infrastructure Programmer
IMOS e-Marine Information Infrastructure Facility (eMII)
Ph: +61 3 6226 8567