[thredds] catalogRef question.

Ethan et al.,

This is a question about THREDDS 3.16 and DataRootHandler.

I am looking at configuring a THREDDS catalog to reference a catalog on another system. I imagined that I could put this:

<catalogRef xlink:href="http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml " xlink:type="simple" xlink:title="Motherlode, UNIDATA" name="Motherlode_UNIDATA"/>

into my catalog.xml.

When I do that and ask the server for the catalog.xml I get this entry:

<catalogRef xlink:href="http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml " xlink:title="Motherlode, UNIDATA" name="" />

Although it lost the xlink:type attribute (which is expected) and also the value of the name attribute (not expected), it should still work since the the xlink:href attribute is correct, and dereferencing that absolute URL it will get you that catalog.

However when I ask for the catalog.html I get this bit:

Now, in my mind the value href attribute should have been:

    http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html

I think this because this (the catalog.html document) is the presentation view of the catalog and it should point to the presentation view of the referenced catalog. Rather, it points to a local servlet... Which I am not running :( because I didn't know about it or what it might do.

Can you explain what's going on?

Nathan

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        541.752.1852