[IDD #CYS-425096]: NCEP Data Files

Hi Massoud,

> > The NCEP
> > data files or specifically the NCEP-GFS-CONUS_80km files, are the ones
> > we're having difficulties downloading using our script code. See link below
> > for list of files from the GFS CONUS.
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/CONUS_80km/runs/catalog.html

If you go up one level in the catalog hierarchy to

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/CONUS_80km/catalog.html

and select the bottom dataset link, "File_Access/"

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/CONUS_80km/files/catalog.html

and select one of these datasets, you will see that there are HTTP file links
as well as OPeNDAP, WCS, and a netCDF service.

These are the raw files on our server, GRIB-1 or GRIB-2 in the NCEP model case.
The other datasets on that higher-level page are virtual aggregations of our
collection of these model runs, so it would be harder to server them out as
files (though the netCDF service does allow something like that).

Before you continue with these scripts, I would like to ask how often and how
much data you will be downloading. If it is most of the data most of the time,
there are better ways to get it than pulling it from this server. The target
for the server is providing access to subsets of datasets and grabbing small
sets of full datasets. Anyway, let us know what your plans are and we can
advise as to whether there is a better way.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: CYS-425096