[netCDF #RXX-748473]: Wx Data

Hi Wade,

> Thanks so much for the motherload netcdf info. I've dl'ed a few data
> sets and they seem to be just what I've been looking for.
>
> A couple questions... here's the setup I've been using:
>
> GFS model
> West Lon: 60
> East Lon: 72
> N Lat: 39
> S Lat: 29
> Hrs: 0-24
>
> - When using the 1 deg model, I can successfully get any of the fields
> in the first set of grids (N5_geopot... thru
> volumetric_soil_moisture), but as soon as I add anything from the 2nd
> set, I get an error saying "Invalid Lat/Lon Range".

Looks like the issue is probably the time range you've selected. It took
me a few minutes to see this but the second set of grids does not have a
zero hour time. Try starting with the 3hr forecast on the second group
and see if that helps. I guess you'll have to make two seperate requests
as I don't see a way to select two different time ranges.

> - When I try the exact same setup numbers w/ the 2.5 deg model, I
> can't get any data, not even anything from the first set of grids

Again, looks like a time range issue. The first set of grids starts with
the 192hr forecast and the second set with the 22hr forecast.

> I suspect I'm not understanding how the lat/lon works, and possibly
> the data I DID get to work isn't for the area I'm interested in
> (Afghanistan).

I don't think the problem is with the lat/lon stuff, just time. So, I'm
guessing what you got is for the area your interested in. If when you
look at it, it doesn't seem right, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Ethan

> Jeff Weber wrote:
> > If you desire netCDF files via a pull method, please visit:
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html
> >
> > Some of the data here is available in netCDF, some of the data is
> > natively in netCDF, others are decoded.
> >
> > If you desire model data go to:
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/models.html
> >
> > and then select the model run you desire, then you will see a choice
> > of servers:
> >
> > Select the netCDF server option.
> >

> > > My name is Wade Shumaker and I recently began working on 3d
> > > visualization at Penn State. I am trying to locate and download
> > > weather
> > > data to import into vGeo, a 3d vis application. I'm hoping you can
> > > point
> > > me to weather data in the netCDF format, which vGeo reads. I'm
> > > looking
> > > for any and all types of data: forecast, current, historical, global
> > > and
> > > continental US.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help you can provide.
> > >
> > > Wade Shumaker