Re: thredds catalog generator

Hi David,

Most of the CatGen Servlet is considered remote configuration by the THREDDS Data Server (TDS) and remote configuration of the TDS now requires that SSL access be setup. (Here's the current "TDS Remote Management" documentation, http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/RemoteManagement.html.) So, you'll need to set this up before you can configure any catalog generation through this web interface.

However, you don't need to use the web interface. You can configure catalog generation by editing the config files by hand and restarting the servlet. The config files are located in ${tomcat_home}/content/thredds/cataloggen/config. The config.xml file is the main configuration file that tells the servlet what CatGenConfig files are to be used and how often. The CatGen web pages don't describe the config.xml files but they should be pretty easy (I hope) to figure out from the example one that comes with the distribution.

Either route you take, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, have you looked at the main TDS catalog generation? It is different than CatGen in that the catalogs are generated dynamically rather than every N minutes. Also, the configuration uses the newer datasetScan element rather than the older (not as flexible) catalogGenConfig element. Unless you have a large, fairly static data collection, I would recommend using the main TDS cataloging capability. At some point, we are hoping to merge these two capabilities but for now these are the two routes available.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

yates@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Ethan,
I'm over in RAL, and trying to get some THREDDS utilities
running on my windows laptop. I've been successful in getting
the THREDDS main servlet utility going, but was now
trying to get the 'Catalog Generator Servlet" running.
Following the instructions on the generator page, it
looks like I was able to access some part of the Catalog
generator servlet, but get an error "Connection refused
when attempting to contact localhost:8443".

I am new to this, so trying to figure out where
the Threeds Catalog Configuration file should sit.
I hope my question makes sense.
Thanks, David Yates

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690