Re: 20050922:DODS/THREDDS confusion

Hi David,

Yeah, this has been an issue for some time (seems to have started on this list in 2003, http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/dods-tech/msg01910.html).

The underlying issue is that netCDF-3 doesn't understand String, it only knows char and arrays of char, and OPeNDAP knows String but not char. So, the mapping between netCDF-3 and OPeNDAP is a bit thorny. The current nc servers map char arrays to String arrays (so each String contains one character). The TDS maps char arrays into Strings. The problem is that the nc client library doesn't know how to map Strings back into char arrays just from the DDS/DAS because the length of Strings can vary. (The TDS contains some hints in the DAS, that is how the netCDF-java library knows how to deal with them.)

I don't know if this comes up anywhere else. But it will be an issue for any OPeNDAP dataset that contains String arrays. Do any of the other servers map things to String arrays?

Sorry I don't actually have any answers but since this is in some ways an issue for the TDS, I'll look into this some more.

Ethan

David Wojtowicz wrote:

Is there any update on the problem below that I first reported in September?

The short of it is that one can't do the following:

dncump -h
http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/station/metar/Surface_METAR_20
060220_0000.nc

It chokes when it hits string data in the file.   You also end up with an
error if you try to access any of the string data from the libnc_dap
interface.   If you copy the file locally, without going through DODS, it
works fine.

THREDDS is of limited value to me if you can't open the datasets with
DODS-netcdf clients.

-----
David Wojtowicz, Sr. Research Programmer, Sysadmin
Dept of Atmospheric Sciences / Computer Services
davidw@xxxxxxxx  (217) 333-8390