Re: adding xlink:type attribute

Hi Benno,

I've updated our main static catalogs to include xlink:type="simple". Haven't dealt with our generated catalogs yet.

Since all the uses of xlink in the InvCatalog schema at this point are simple xlinks, I was thinking it would be a convenience to provide a default value for xlink:type. That way all existing catalogs would automatically be complient with the XLink spec. At least they would look that way if the application was paying attention to the DTD/XSD. As with most default values in XML docs, I think explicitly including xlink:type="simple" in our catalog documents is the way to go. Just hoping to buy us some pain free complience.

I was just looking at your catalog at

http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/thredds.xml

I see the xlink:type attributes but not the CSS stuff (<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="threddsstyle.css" ?>). Do you have an example that does include that? Also, can you point me to your threddsstyle.css so I can take a look at it?

Thanks,

Ethan

Benno Blumenthal wrote:

Ethan Davis wrote:

Hi Benno,

I will go through our catalogs and add the xlink:type attribute. I'll also add it to our catalog generation tools.

That would be great.

In the InvCatalog 0.6 spec xlink:type had a default value of "simple". Looks like that got dropped in 1.0. Does adding this as a default seem like a good idea? Or would requiring it but no default value be preferable?

my reading of xlink is that xlink:type is required, and the way we are using xlink its value is "simple".
There is no provision for a default value.

The reason for doing this is so that we can build on top of software that already understands xlink, which, if we have not written it, is expecting xlink:type="simple" before processing it.

Benno

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690