Re: GCMD temporal coverage

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 major@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hey Robb...we may have something on the last 5 days that woud do it
> automatically, but we'd like to test it out...do you have a DIF or 2 in
> mind that we can use to test? We may be able to have the database
> automatically populate the temporal field on the fly and then add 5
> days...we'll see.

Gene,

It would be good if it was updated automatically, then we wouldn't have to
worry about updating the dif for the temporal field.

Attached is a DIF for the metar data.  There are 2 parameters added
because there weren't any place for the variables, datetime,
time_observation, time_nominal, visibility_in_air,
visibility_in_air_direction, visibility_in_air_vertical,
visibility_in_air_surface. Could you look into adding Category/topics/...,
etc.  I'm not rigid about the names except the Detailed_Variables. I also
added the temporal field with "last 5 days"

Thanks,
Robb...

> Snow in the spring, eh...spring skiing, I bet! thats ok...i was out there
> in Boulder a couple years ago and it snowed in May :)

We got 8" last sat, it was wet and heavy

> Gene
>

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Robb Kambic wrote:
>
> > Gene,
> >
> > Hope thing are well with you, spring is starting to arrive but we are
> > expecting snow this weekend.
> >
> > A couple questions,  Did you ever come to a conclusion on how we could
> > fill out the Temporal Coverage Dif field for a value like "last 5 days" ?
> >
> > Under Parameters Dif field, we probably need a
> >
> > Earth Science > Atmosphere > Visibility > Visibility In Air
> >
> > category.
> >
> > Also, we need to have some time vars, ie
> >
> > Temporal > Time > UTC Time > Date Time
> > Temporal > Time > UTC Time > UTC SECONDS SINCE 1970-01-01 00 UTC
> >
> > What do ya think?
> >
> > RObb...
> >

> > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 major@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > > Hi John,
> > > Good question. We don't have a field in the DIF specifically for this. You
> > > might be able to specify it within the Use_Contraints field or the
> > > Summary field. If it happens often, we might consider a new field, perhaps
> > > within the Temporal_Coverage field, that allows the specification of
> > > relative dates (if applicable).
> > > Gene

> > > --
> > >

> > >      /\               Gene R. Major
> > >     /  \       Global Change Master Directory
> > >    /    \    Science Systems and Applications, Inc.
> > >   / GCMD \       major@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >  /        \         (301) 867-2088
> > > /__________\        (301) 867-2149
> > >                   http://gcmd.nasa.gov
> > >

> > ==============================================================================
> > Robb Kambic                            Unidata Program Center
> > Software Engineer III                          Univ. Corp for Atmospheric
> > Research
> > rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
> > ==============================================================================
> >

> --
>

>      /\               Gene R. Major
>     /  \       Global Change Master Directory
>    /    \    Science Systems and Applications, Inc.
>   / GCMD \       major@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  /        \         (301) 867-2088
> /__________\        (301) 867-2149
>                   http://gcmd.nasa.gov

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
Entry_ID: DOC_NOAA_NWS_THREDDS_000000
Entry_Title: Surface data originating from METAR reports for last 5 days
Discipline: EARTH SCIENCE > Atmosphere
Group: Parameters
   Category: TEMPORAL
   Topic: TIME
   Term: UTC TIME
   Variable: DATE TIME
   Detailed_Variable: datetime
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: TEMPORAL
   Topic: TIME
   Term: UTC SECONDS SINCE 1970-01-01 00 UTC
   Variable: SECONDS
   Detailed_Variable: time_observation
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: TEMPORAL
   Topic: TIME
   Term: UTC SECONDS SINCE 1970-01-01 00 UTC
   Variable: SECONDS
   Detailed_Variable: time_nominal
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_from_direction
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_speed
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_gust
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_from_direction_min
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_from_direction_max
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_peak_from_direction
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_peak_speed
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERIC WINDS
   Variable: SURFACE WINDS
   Detailed_Variable: wind_peak_time
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: VISIBILITY
   Variable: VISIBILITY IN AIR
   Detailed_Variable: visibility_in_air
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: VISIBILITY
   Variable: VISIBILITY IN AIR
   Detailed_Variable: visibility_in_air_direction
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: VISIBILITY
   Variable: VISIBILITY IN AIR
   Detailed_Variable: visibility_in_air_vertical
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: VISIBILITY
   Variable: VISIBILITY IN AIR
   Detailed_Variable: visibility_in_air_surface
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: CLOUDS
   Variable: CLOUD AMOUNT/FEQUENCY
   Detailed_Variable: low_cloud_area_fraction
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: CLOUDS
   Variable: CLOUD HEIGHT
   Detailed_Variable: low_cloud_base_altitude
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: CLOUDS
   Variable: CLOUD AMOUNT/FEQUENCY
   Detailed_Variable: middle_cloud_area_fraction
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: CLOUDS
   Variable: CLOUD HEIGHT
   Detailed_Variable: middle_cloud_base_altitude
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: CLOUDS
   Variable: CLOUD AMOUNT/FEQUENCY
   Detailed_Variable:  high_cloud_area_fraction
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: CLOUDS
   Variable: CLOUD HEIGHT
   Detailed_Variable: high_cloud_base_altitude
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERE TEMPERATURE
   Variable: AIR TEMPERATURE
   Detailed_Variable: air_temperature
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERE WATER VAPOR
   Variable: DEW POINT
   Detailed_Variable: dew_point_temperature
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERE PRESSURE
   Variable: SURFACE PRESSURE
   Detailed_Variable: air_pressure
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERE PRESSURE
   Variable: SEA LEVEL PRESSURE
   Detailed_Variable: air_pressure_at_sea_level
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: ATMOSPHERE PHENOMEIA
   Variable: STORMS
   Detailed_Variable: weather
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: PRECIPITATION
   Variable: SNOW
   Detailed_Variable: snowfall_amount_last_hour
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: PRECIPITATION
   Variable: SNOW
   Detailed_Variable: snowfall_amount
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: PRECIPITATION
   Variable: PRECIPITATION AMOUNT
   Detailed_Variable: precipitation_amount_hourly
End_Group
Group: Parameters
   Category: EARTH SCIENCE
   Topic: ATMOSPHERE
   Term: PRECIPITATION
   Variable: PRECIPITATION AMOUNT
   Detailed_Variable: precipitation_amount_24
End_Group
Keyword: SURFACE DATA
Keyword: METAR
Group: Temporal_Coverage
   Start_Date: last 5 days
   Stop_Date: last 5 days
End_Group
Group: Spatial_Coverage
    Southernmost_Latitude: -90
    Northernmost_Latitude: 90
    Westernmost_Longitude: -180
    Easternmost_Longitude: 180
End_Group
Group: Data_Center
   Data_Center_Name: DOC/NOAA/NWS > National Weather Service, NOAA, U.S.
Department of Commerce
   Group: Personnel
      Role: DATA CENTER CONTACT
      First_Name: Howard
      Last_Name: Diamond
      Email: hdiamond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Phone:
      Fax:
      Group: Address
        U.S Department of Commerece
        National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
        NOAA Satellite and Information Services (NESDIS)
        1335 East-West Highway
        Silver Spring Maryland 20910-3226
      End_Group
   End_Group
End_Group
Group: Summary
METAR is the international standard code format for hourly surface weather
observations which is analogous to the SA coding currently used in the US.
The acronym roughly translates from French as Aviation Routine Weather Report.
SPECI is merely the code name given to METAR formatted products which are
issued on a special non-routine basis as dictated by changing meteorological
conditions. The SPECI acronym roughly translates as Aviation Selected Special
Weather Report.
End_Group
Group: Related_URL
   Group: Description
      THREDDS sample data access for KDEN (Denver International Airport)
   End_Group
End_Group
IDN_Node: UCAR/UNIDATA
DIF_Creation_Date: 2004-04-06