Re: latest Catalog XML

Hi Benno,

At first I thought I agreed with you on the dataset aliasing issue. Now I'm not
so sure. It seems like the problem boils down to the ability to reference a
dataset in an external catalog. Currently, the only external reference is a
catalogRef which dereferences into a collection. One solution would be to switch
things around in one way or another so that catalogRef could be dereferenced
into a dataset. On the other hand, an aliased dataset already gets dereferenced
into a dataset. There are two issues at this point: first, dataset aliases are
currently restricted to local datasets; second, datasets aren't complete (i.e.,
it doesn't necessarily contain a service). But that shouldn't matter, the client
would need to parse the entire catalog doc to find the referenced dataset so the
dereferencing step could also grab the required service. Here's an example:

Top level catalog (cat1.xml) that references datasets (sorry, I don't know
XPointer well so I'm faking the actual references):

<catalog name="catalog 1" version="0.6d">
  <collection name="collection 1">
    <service name="motherlode" serviceType="DODS"
             base="http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods"; />
    <dataset alias="http://.../cat2.xml#id(ds1)" />
    <dataset alias="http://.../cat3.xml#id(ds2)" />
    <dataset alias="http://.../cat4.xml#id(ds3)" />
  </collection>
</catalog>

Lower level catalog (cat2.xml) that contains info on a single dataset that is
referenced by cat1.xml:

<catalog name="catalog 2" version="0.6d">
  <collection name="collection 2">
    <service name="motherlode" serviceType="DODS"
             base="http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods"; />
    <dataset name="dataset 1" ID="ds1" dataType="Grid">
      <access serviceName="motherlode" urlPath="ds1.nc" />
      <dataset alias="http://.../cat5.xml#id(ds5)" />
      <dataset alias="http://.../cat6.xml#id(ds6)" />
    </dataset>
  </collection>
</catalog>

Not sure if this is cleaner than figuring out how to get catalogRefs to
dereference into datasets rather than collections. The incompleteness of a
dataset seems to make it a bit harder on the client side. What does everyone
think?

Also, one comment on efficiency of transmission. I certainly agree that it won't
always be reasonable to represent an entire sites holdings in a single THREDDS
catalog. But doesn't going to one dataset per step go to the other extreme which
could also be somewhat inefficient? It certainly side-steps any opportunity to
reduce the number of HTTP requests involved in the clients navigation of the
hierarchy. Obviously, though, it will sometimes be desirable to do just that.

Ethan