[netcdfgroup] Feedback requested on NCO netCDF->JSON converter

Greetings All,

A few weeks ago I requested recommendations to convert netCDF->JSON.
Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately none worked for us.
So we added a JSON backend to NCO's ncks which already had CDL and XML.

Exporting JSON required more design decisions than CDL and XML.
Right now we output NC_TYPEs of variables not attributes.
We'll add a switch to output attributes as objects with types.
That's the only unfinished feature currently on our list.

We would like to receive any feedback on JSON output by the current NCO
snapshot (4.6.2-beta01 and counting).
We can make simple changes before finalizing 4.6.2, while larger
changes will be made during development of 4.6.3.
The JSON backend accepts the same switches (-m -M -v -g --hdn) as
CDL/XML. Sample output from ncks --json in.nc and in_grp.nc is at:
http://dust.ess.uci.edu/tmp/in.json
http://dust.ess.uci.edu/tmp/in_grp.json

Please post suggestions and comments on NCO's JSON implementation here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/nco/discussion/9829/thread/8c4d7e72
to avoid saturating the netCDF email list :)

Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(