[netcdfgroup] merging netcdf files

I have three files with the same variables, same longitudinal dimension,
and same time dimension, but different latitudinal dimensions. (Basically,
I chopped the eastern U.S. data into three rectangles North, Central, and
South.)

I want to merge these back together for graphics purposes.

I tried copying file1 to testmerge.nc, and then using ncks file2
testmerge.nc and choosing to append... but the result has the same lat lon
dimensions as file1. (It also has the same time dimension, so I'm not
really sure how it appended it, maybe added the variables separately
instead of matching them up.)

I also tried to write a python script to read the netcdf data, a single
variable at a time, and then write it out to a new netcdf file after it was
merged, but I had a hard time keeping track of the dimensions in my arrays
and when I tried to write it back out it said they didn't match up with the
netcdf file I defined using createDimension and createVariable.

Can someone make a recommendation for me?

Elizabeth Crisfield
Elizabeth Crisfield
Research Assistant
Geography Department