Re: python interface

Dear Magnus,

I'll try to clear up the PyNIO issue, as it is my team that develops
and supports this software. I am not familiar enough with ScientificPython
to know what the status is of this for numpy.

You're right in that PyNIO is only available in binary form. We are
currently in the process of making it open source so that you can
download and install the software on any version of python you want.

In order to build PyNIO from source, you will need to install some
external software, like NIO (which is our I/O library), netCDF and HDF
(HDFEOS/gctp and/or grib2c/jasper are needed if you want support for
HDF-EOS2 and/or GRIB2 files).

I can provide you with the source code for PyNIO, NCL, and NCARG if you
want to try building these from source code. You will need to install
netCDF version 3.6.x, HDF4.2r1, JPEG-6b, and zlib 1.2.3 first.

Let me know if you'd like to give this a try.

--Mary