f90 API question

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me out with what should be a very simple
process.  I've used the f77 API a few times to manipulate netcdf files.
I've always used a sun with sun's workshop compilers.  To compile I use
the following syntax which works fine:

f77 -o <outputfilename> <input.f> /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a -
I/usr/local/netcdf/include

I wanted to try out the f90 API because it seemed cleaner and more
efficient.  I've been trying to use the first example in the netcdf
tutorial, simple_xy_wr.f90, but have had no luck.

Setting the location of the module libraries (the newest libraries,
3.6.2) with the -M flag, I tried

--------
f90 -o test simple_xy_wr.f90 -M/usr/local/netcdf/include
netcdf.nf90_def_dim_                simple_xy_wr.o
netcdf.nf90_close_                  simple_xy_wr.o
netcdf.nf90_def_var_manydims_       simple_xy_wr.o
netcdf.nf90_put_var_2d_fourbyteint_ simple_xy_wr.o
netcdf.nf90_create_                 simple_xy_wr.o
netcdf.nf90_strerror_               simple_xy_wr.o
netcdf.nf90_enddef_                 simple_xy_wr.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to test
-------

So no luck.  I then included the libnetcdf.a file:

 f90 -o test simple_xy_wr.f90 -
M/usr/local/netcdf/include /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a

__f95_error_message_and_abort       /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a
(netcdf.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to test

This error I don't understand.  Can anyone help me out or do I need just
stick with f77?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Brent