Re: using netCDF for storing data from realtime source

Netcdf is best for array data, usually on regularly spaced grids.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

What is the shape, i.e. dimensionality, of your data? Your description suggests that the data is streams of single values over time. If so, I suspect that Netcdf is overly complicated and not very suitable for your work.

How about a plain text columnar or delimited format, with each line about as you described, and a few appropriate header lines in each file? Nothing beats plain ascii text for portability.

--Dave A.
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)

Magnus Hagdorn wrote:
Hello world,
we are currently considering to use the netCDF library to store data
coming from our instruments. The data represents multiple variables
together with a timestamp of the measurement. Some variables are updated
more often than others. Sample rates are of the order of 100Hz to
1000Hz. I was thinking of storing the data as a table with 3 columns,
timestamp, ID and value together with some appropriate header. Do you
think this is a reasonable idea, are there other more suitable standard
formats?
Regards
magnus