Re: using netCDF for storing data from realtime source

A netCDF convention to do a similar action has been developed for atmospheric
research
aircraft.  You can read about it at
  http://www.eol.ucar.edu/raf/Software/netCDF.html

Each measurement or calculation is stored as a 2D variable.  The first
dimension is time at once per second.  It can be unlimited for a realtime
growing file.  The second dimension is samples
per second.  There is also a third dimension for vector data, but it
sounds as if you don't need that.  The use of two dimensions allows
data for different rates to be stored.  The beta tested netcdf-4 will
allow more than one unlimited dimension.

Magnus Hagdorn wrote:
Hello world,
we are currently considering to use the netCDF library to store data
coming from our instruments. The data represents multiple variables
together with a timestamp of the measurement. Some variables are updated
more often than others. Sample rates are of the order of 100Hz to
1000Hz. I was thinking of storing the data as a table with 3 columns,
timestamp, ID and value together with some appropriate header. Do you
think this is a reasonable idea, are there other more suitable standard
formats?
Regards
magnus

Larry Oolman