Building netcdf-4-alpha on Mac OS X with xlf

Hello all,

I am attempting to build netcdf-4.0-alpha11 on Mac OS X 10.4 with gcc4 and IBM xlf90 Fortran.

I have not managed to get beyond compiling the netCDF-3 interface at this point, compilation works fine until the f90 compile, when the build halts with this error:

Making all in f90
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile xlf90 -I../libsrc -I. -g - qsuffix=f=f90 -c -o typeSizes.lo typeSizes.f90
libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'

I did a bit of googling on this problem and tried to solve it by installing the latest libtool (2.1a) and automake (1.9.4) and autoconf (2.59), but it didn't seem to help.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jed Kaplan