Re: [netcdf-hdf] a question about HDF5 and large file - why so long to write one value?

  • To: ymuqun@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-hdf] a question about HDF5 and large file - why so long to write one value?
  • From: Quincey Koziol <koziol@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:40:39 -0500
Hi Kent,

On Aug 20, 2007, at 8:53 AM, ymuqun@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Ed,

I don't think HDF5 will write only the last value since you are asking HDF5 to create that size of big dataset. It will write 17179869152 bytes + overhead into
the disk. So depending on your system, it may take minutes.

        It depends on the settings for the dataset's creation properties.

Quincey may give you more technical explanations. I don't know if using chunks may help you much. However, I think this is a good case to apply compression
filter since it will compress very well and should overcome I/O time.

I've got some extra time today and I'll look into Ed's example code and see if I can figure out what's going on and how best to correct it.

        Quincey

Kent

Quoting Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Howdy all!

I am writing a test program which writes large files (well over 2
GB). I have some questions about HDF5 and very large files. I need to
check out whether netCDF-4 has been correctly implemented for best
performance.

In the program below, I create 4 datasets, of type double. They are
one-dimensional, with length 2147483644/4. (That is 17179869152 bytes
of data.)

Then I write the last value only in each dataset.

Took a really long time - minutes. Is this expected? What is HDF5
doing in the background here? Is there something I can do with
chunking here to improve the speed of this program?

I am not setting a fill calue, so what is being written here? I
naively expected that HDF5 would not write all the data I am skipping,
but would find a way to write data only around the value that I am
actually writing...

The file that this program creates is 17179883735 bytes, which is
14583 bytes of HDF5 overhead. Is that about what is expected?

Any comments welcome...

Thanks,

Ed

/*
 Copyright 2007, UCAR/Unidata
 See COPYRIGHT file for copying and redistribution conditions.

 This program (quickly, but not throughly) tests the large file
 features of netCDF-4.

 $Id: tst_large.c,v 1.3 2007/08/18 12:26:38 ed Exp $
*/
#include <config.h>
#include <nc_tests.h>
#include <netcdf.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

/* This is the magic number for classic format limits: 2 GiB - 4
   bytes. */
#define MAX_CLASSIC_BYTES 2147483644

/* This is the magic number for 64-bit offset format limits: 4 GiB - 4
   bytes. */
#define MAX_64OFFSET_BYTES 4294967292

/* Handy for constucting tests. */
#define QTR_CLASSIC_MAX (MAX_CLASSIC_BYTES/4)

/* We will create this file. */
#define FILE_NAME "tst_large.nc"

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{

    printf("\n*** Testing really large files in netCDF-4/HDF5 format,
quickly.\n");

    printf("\n*** Testing create of simple, but large, file...");
    {
#define DIM_NAME "Time_in_nanoseconds"
#define NUMDIMS 1
#define NUMVARS 4

       int ncid, dimids[NUMDIMS], varid[NUMVARS];
char var_name[NUMVARS][NC_MAX_NAME + 1] = {"England", "Scotland",
"Ireland", "Wales"};
       size_t index[2] = {QTR_CLASSIC_MAX-1, 0};
       int ndims, nvars, natts, unlimdimid;
       nc_type xtype;
       char name_in[NC_MAX_NAME + 1];
       size_t len;
       double pi = 3.1459, pi_in;
       int i;

       /* Create a netCDF netCDF-4/HDF5 format file, with 4 vars. */
       if (nc_create(FILE_NAME, NC_NETCDF4, &ncid)) ERR;
       if (nc_set_fill(ncid, NC_NOFILL, NULL)) ERR;
       if (nc_def_dim(ncid, DIM_NAME, QTR_CLASSIC_MAX, dimids)) ERR;
       for (i = 0; i < NUMVARS; i++)
       {
          if (nc_def_var(ncid, var_name[i], NC_DOUBLE, NUMDIMS,
                         dimids, &varid[i])) ERR;
       }
       if (nc_enddef(ncid)) ERR;
       for (i = 0; i < NUMVARS; i++)
          if (nc_put_var1_double(ncid, i, index, &pi)) ERR;
       if (nc_close(ncid)) ERR;

       /* Reopen and check the file. */
       if (nc_open(FILE_NAME, 0, &ncid)) ERR;
       if (nc_inq(ncid, &ndims, &nvars, &natts, &unlimdimid)) ERR;
if (ndims != NUMDIMS || nvars != NUMVARS || natts != 0 || unlimdimid
!= -1) ERR;
       if (nc_inq_dimids(ncid, &ndims, dimids, 1)) ERR;
       if (ndims != 1 || dimids[0] != 0) ERR;
       if (nc_inq_dim(ncid, 0, name_in, &len)) ERR;
       if (strcmp(name_in, DIM_NAME) || len != QTR_CLASSIC_MAX) ERR;
       for (i = 0; i < NUMVARS; i++)
       {
if (nc_inq_var(ncid, i, name_in, &xtype, &ndims, dimids, &natts)) ERR; if (strcmp(name_in, var_name[i]) || xtype != NC_DOUBLE || ndims != 1 ||
              dimids[0] != 0 || natts != 0) ERR;
          if (nc_get_var1_double(ncid, i, index, &pi_in)) ERR;
          if (pi_in != pi) ERR;
       }
       if (nc_close(ncid)) ERR;
    }