Re: something startling I just noticed...

Hi Russ,

> >     Yes, local sequence numbers cut both ways sometimes...  Since
> > most (all?)  current netCDF users should be used to a 'flat' file,
> > putting all the objects in the root group of the file and using the
> > creation order in that group seems like a reasonable default.  Then,
> > you could change the definition of the way the creation order
> > information is used for netCDF 4 users so that the group structure
> > was accounted for.
> >     BTW, I was looking through the netCDF 3 API for functions that
> > take or return an 'index' in the file and I can't find one.  Which
> > function(s) applies to this situation?
>
> I think we haven't been clear enough in describing what we mean be
> creation order.
    Actually, I do understand what you mean, HDF4 does things basically the
same way.
    For the functions below, how do you get the ID/num of an object when
you don't know the name?  Do you pass in a NULL pointer for the name parameter?
    I think supporting creation order for attributes might be a bit more of
a problem than for the other kinds of objects, but from reading your description
of the attribute number below, it doesn't look like it's a real problem if
the "creation order" of attributes changes.  Is that so?

    Quincey