Re: Pattern in Late Data

There are many things that our campus IT group has not done well; however, one
thing that they have done well is the configuration of our campus intranet.

Our student dorms are on a completely different network from the rest of
campus.  They have their own routers and firewalls to traverse to get to the
internet (same campus gateway), and our IT group is able to throttle the
bandwidth to different campus areas quite well.  (Our LDM machine has 5-min
average throughputs of about 1 MB/sec and peak rates at 3-4 MB and this is
before we have Internet-2 service!)

I haven't had time to look at our statistics, but, from what I can tell
superficially, most of our lost data seems to be missing at Unidata too (using
the IDV for example).

Perhaps your various campus network admins can looking into configuring their
networks in this way.  This also helps to address the widely felt perception
that your greatest security threat (for break-ins) is actually from the inside,
not outside.  (Especially when one considers the "free time" that most students
have to play.)  Our students have very limited access to computers within the
academic subnets - with most systems protected by a firewall between the dorms
and "us."

Just some thoughts....

Chris H.

Dave Dempsey wrote:

> *> From owner-ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Oct  8 07:18:29 2002
> *> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:33:40 +0000 (GMT)
> *> To: Larry Riddle <lriddle@xxxxxxxx>
> *> cc: <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> *> Subject: Re: Pattern in Late Data
> *>
> *> Hi Larry,
> *>
> *> Like you, we have recently experienced latency and occasional lost
> *> data during these time periods (and also in the hours when the
> *> 1200 UTC gridded data is flowing most rapidly).
> *>
> *> However, in our case, we believe our problem is local to
> *> UAlbany.  We believe that student use of the internet (most likely
> *> via the use of file-sharing apps) is overwhelming the University's
> *> internet gateway.
>
> Larry and Kevin,
>
> We've been experiencing the same problem-significant increases in student
> internet use, much of it coming from the dorms saturating our outside
> internet connection and causing us to lose data--at San Francisco St.
> University. We've been forced to resort to ftp to get data to replace what
> we're losing.
>
> -- Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences               |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  ddempsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |  )  )  )  ~  ~   ~ ~  *

GIF image

  • Search the ldm-users archives: