RE: Pentium IV

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, David Wojtowicz wrote:

> I do not want to start a Intel vs AMD war here, but from our testing
> with many of our numerical codes we conclude the following.
>
>  An AMD Athlon 1.3 Ghz with conventional PC133 SDRAM memory
>  is about 10% faster than a Pentium IV 1.7 Ghz with RDRAM on existing code.
>  Adding DDR RAM to the Athlon configuration can improve things further.

Has anyone tried a 2 GHZ Pentium yet? I will be making a call sometime in
the next few months whether or not to get a 2.0 GHZ P4 or a 1.3 GHZ
Athlon. I'll be using my machine as a web server and making thousands of
graphics every day. Will it matter? Will the AMD chip run WXP, Gempak,
McIDAS and other programs just fine? I used to be as hardcore about Intel
as I am about Linux, but in the last year, that has been blown out the
window! Does the floating point improve with the P4 2 GHZ vs. 1.7 GHZ?

Internet: gilbert@xxxxxxx    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: