RE: LDM Archive Machine

Daryl,

I wish you luck in your endeavor, but IMO, and based on my tests and
observing the e-mails about LDM through the years, the problems with
LDM crashing/kernel problems..etc is due to Linux itself.  It certainly
has the well known problem of crashing under heavy load, whereas
Solaris Intel is virtually bulletproof.  Not to pick on Gilbert,
he's been a great help to me over the years, but his LDM just crashed
again..he hates Solaris but I am 99.9% sure these bouts he has would
go away if he'd switch.  At my previous job at NMSU/NSBF we have been
running
 the LDM plus all of the GEMPAK AND McIDAS decoders plus a web server and
GARP/McIDAS sessions on a single CPU Gateway PC running Solaris for over two
years now.  The
only problems that have ever occurred were related to hung gplt routines
caused by my CGI scripts.  These occasional to frequent crashes that
LDM-Linux
boxes all seem to have simply don't occur or rarely occur with Solaris
Intel.
Performance is fine as well..and as CPU usage approaches 100% you'll see
Solaris
surpass Linux.

Anne can correct me on this but Unidata is running an incredible amount of
stuff on their dual PIII Solaris machines and have never had a problem.

Linux has it's place, but with this particular application (the
LDM/decoders)
it simply fails more often than it should.  If you continue to have problems
I would suggest that you at least look into Solaris x86.  Solaris will run
on the Athlon, depending on the particular motherboard.  We had a network
problem at NMSU/NSBF which caused us always to lose a bunch of data.  I
eventually
arranged for our feed to set his ldm to 5400 seconds as I did mine to cut
down on that a bit..then when I needed data I put out a call on this e-mail
list or the needdata list.  There are many people archiving out there.

In any event, good luck, to you.

 /**
  * Daryl Herzmann (akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx)
  * Program Assistant -- Iowa Environmental Mesonet
  * http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu
  */

  • Search the ldm-users archives: