Re: RE: NEXRAD stations

FFC is Peachtree City (basically Atlanta). I also
don't see an FFG. We've been receiving data, but how will I
know which is unencoded? I tried loading some of the more
recent images in GEMPAK 5.6a but no dice.

Thomas L. Mote
University of Georgia

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:03:32 -0500 Dan Vietor
<devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I am cheerfully watching the NEXRAD data flow in here, it is
> > great to see!
> >
> > However, I am seeing some products from stations that are not
> > in my WXP
> > rad.cty list of stations:
> >
> > FFG
> > GID
> > LMK
> > TOP
> > UNR
> >
> > TOP is easy to guess, it is TWX (Topeka). Can anyone shed light on the
> > rest of these?
>
> WXP uses the official NWS identifiers for the Nexrad sites and not the
> identifier for the WFO.  This is for consistency with RCM, MDR and other
> radar products.
>
> BTW, I don't find any sites with FFG.  There is Atlanta which is FFC.
>
> I file Nexrad sites by the ID listed in the AWIPS header and not the WMO
> header:
>
> ** SDUS51 KPHI 091837 ***
> N0RDIX
>
> I file on the DIX, not the PHI.  Here is my pqact.conf line:
>
> #
> # Radar - NIDS
> WMO     ^SDUS5. .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])([0-5][0-9]).*/p(...)(...)
>         PIPE    -close /home/ldm/bin/ucnids -c -
> /home/ldm/data/nids/\5/(\1:yy)(
> \1:mm)\1\2\3_\4.nid
>
> > Also, in clear air mode, how can you have a negative
> > reflectivity? Is a negative return ever really due to
> > precipitation?
>
> Its possible for snow but not rain.  Some types of snow have a very
> small cross-section exposed to the radar beam.  This means it will
> rarely have Dbz returns in the positive area.  The problem is that there
> are a lot of other things that return Dbz values of 5 or less, like
> birds, insects, clouds, ground clutter.  So you have to know what your
> looking for.
> Daniel Vietor               Mail: devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
> 221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
> Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215

Thomas L. Mote                               tmote@xxxxxxx
Associate Professor of Geography         ph:  706-542-2906
University of Georgia                    lab: 706-542-6060
Athens, GA 30602-2502 USA                fax: 706-542-2388

  • Search the ldm-users archives: