Re: [gembud] scripting question

Eric,

My understanding is that each shell process id ($$ in CSH) has an
individual message queue that GEMPAK uses.  If you fire up multiple
jobs from the same xterm window, then gpend would kill them.  But, if
you are running scripts (CSH, Bourne or otherwise), then each has its
own individual shell, and its own individual message queue.
Therefore, gpend will only affect those graphics started by that
script.

Others can correct any errors I have in understanding, but I can
assure you that adding gpend to the very end of scripts is a good
idea.  Note, if you can get away with using the "_gf" or "_nc"
versions of GEMPAK programs, they do not use the message queues and
gpend is not needed.  Gpend can be a little slow when you're doing
thousands of things, and it's nice to skip that when you can do so
safely.

Cheers,

David

--
David Ovens              e-mail: ovens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108