[gembud] Where art thou METAR site metadata?

Well howdy folks,

Anybody wish to purchase some snow? I have a bunch for sale here in Iowa. Oops, that was not the purpose of my email. A number of moons ago, I spammed this list attempting to find metadata on which time zone a METAR site was in, so to make sense of the DSM timestamps [1]. I struck out! Undaunted, I am back again wondering where in the world can I figure out where in the world some of these METAR sites are located.

My current favorite lookups to find metadata are:
 http://www.airnav.com
 http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/stations.txt
 http://www.locationidentifiers.org/location-identifier-list.csv.txt
 http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/K???

But alas, none of those sites have information on where a site like KBAN
is.

SAXX60 KWBC 161800
METAR
KBAN 161756Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM FEW085 M02/M07 A3021 RMK AO2 SLP244^M^M
     T10221067 11022 21089 50003 TSNO=^M^M

Ah yes, the Gladstone Family site knows about this one. Whew, but there are others! Like all these fancy pants military sites with KQ** IDs, where can I get my greedy hands on metadata for those sites?

How can any of you sleep at night knowing that some data might be slipping through our wonderful LDM feeds unprocessed?

daryl

[1] http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/gembud/2009/msg00044.html