[galeon] Quick OGC Technical Committee summary

Hi,
This is a quick summary of the OGC Technical Committee meeting highlights
from the perspective of our community.

Our proposal was accepted to start the process of an OGC CF-netCDF encoding
specification standard.  The TC voted unanimously yesterday afternoon to
publish the CF-netCDF discussion paper as a starting point for the standard.
 And the wheels were set in motion to form our own OGC CF-netCDF SWG
(Standard Working Group).  That process will take a week or so.  The kick
off SWG telecon is set for October 14.  I should note that there was
discussion in our session as to whether the standardization of encoding
formats is necessary at all and how the CF community will react to having CF
become part of the OGC standard.  Andrew Woolf, who feels strongly that all
the necessary information can be conveyed via GML and XLINK, voted in the
CF-netCDF session against recommending the TC publish the discussion paper.
 The vote in the session was 9 yes, 1 no, and 3 abstain.

Meanwhile our parallel effort to extablish CF-netCDF as the first encoding
format for the WCS protocol continued on track.  The WCS SWG endorsed the
recent revised draft and encouraged Stefano and me to make the edits that
will make the document a full candidate standard.

There were many other very useful discussions on topics important to our
community.  The need to deal with multiple time variables, e.g., sampling,
result, forecast times etc was discussed at length in the Observations and
Forecasts session.  Issues related to Coordinate Reference Systems for
images were hashed out in a joint session between the GML and WCS groups.
 And there were several excellent presentations on standards related efforts
by Ph D students in the Coverages session.  One of them was on research in
the area of unstructured grids which is a topic our coastal oceans and CF
colleagues confront.  Hopefully we've established a productive working
relationship there.

Enough for now.