Re: [galeon] [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

Please, if we bring CF semantics in, let's expand them along the way to be more... semantically interoperable. (I'll be trying to engage or start a few TRAC discussions in the CF community to move that along.)

Re "Isn't it just a way to get an OGC stamp of approval on legacy systems", the value may be more obvious if we reword that question as "Will it be useful for the NetCDF specification(s) to be approved and managed by a formal standards body such as OGC?" (Every time I see "legacy system" I feel like NetCDF is being called a dusty relic, or something more unattractive.)

I think if NetCDF advocates and OGC do it right, this could help both quite a bit, and the community as well. (NetCDF through external review and clarifications, and OGC by embracing and associating with a larger set of geo-enabled specifications. For example.) It might even increase the rate at which integrative capabilities are developed and communities are connected.

Of course, it could go the other way too. I hope the expectations and processes are made clear at the beginning of the process, so everyone goes in with their eyes open.

John