[galeon] AGU presentation on CF-netCDF standardization efforts

Hi all,
Stefano Nativi and I are planning to submit an abstract on CF-netCDF
standardization efforts to the AGU Fall Meeting for the ESSI session
IN19 "Fostering
Multi-disciplinary Research via Interoperable Data Systems based on
International Geospatial Standards for Earth and Space Sciences."

We realize that many people are playing key roles in these standardization
efforts, so we'd like to invite you to become a co-author for the
presentation.  I've included a draft abstract at the end of this message.
 If you would like to join us as a co-author, just send me a note to that
effect.  Please include your AGU membership number if you are a member.

Also please consider submitting other presentation abstracts to IN19 or one
of the other ESSI sessions.  The deadline for abstracts is September 3.

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/program/abstract_submissions.php

<http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/program/abstract_submissions.php>Thanks.

CF-netCDF Standardization

Ben Domenico, Stefano Nativi, et al.

NetCDF has long been a de facto standard for data storage and access in
several communities.  More recently it has been recognized by the NASA
Standards Process Group and the NOAA IOOS DMAC as a de jure standard.
 Within the OGC, CF-netCDF is being considered as an extension to the latest
recognized version of the WCS.   A new initiative is underway  to establish
CF-netCDF as an OGC binary encoding standard in its own right.   The idea is
that, establishing CF-netCDF as a separate OGC encoding standard will
simplify the process of using it as a payload for other standard access
protocols such as the WFS and SOS.

The approach is modeled on that taken for establishing KML as an OGC
standard for XML encoding.   One difference is that  CF-netCDF will be
standardized with a core and a set of extensions..  The standardization
process for the core and each of the extension will involve the following
steps:

   - Make the existing NASA standard the basis for the OGC Core Candidate
   Standard for CF-netCDF
   - Submit an initial draft  Candidate Standard to the OGC Technical
   Committee (TC)
   - Form a CF-netCDF Standard Working Group (SWG)
   - In the CF-netCDF SWG, refine the Candidate Standard document into a
   draft for public comment
   - Submit the Candidate Standard  to the OGC TC to be submitted for public
   comment
   - Incorporate public comment suggestions and submit the result as an OGC
   Standard Specification

In parallel initiatives will be undertaken for extension standard for
specific CF conventions (e.g., gridded data, point data collections, swath
data, etc.)., for netCDF APIs, and for NcML (the netCDF Markup
Language)-GML.

The presentation will outline the plan and provide a report on the status of
the initiative at the time of the meeting.