Re: [galeon] [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

I would point out that the genesis of this discussion was to my mind a very strong criticism of Ben's tireless efforts to bring some standards that have proven fit to a large community under the larger umbrella (or tent - let' s mix metaphors!), and to try and see where harmonization might occur. The message was that instead we should all do it their yet untried and unproven way. One of the Brits, I can remember who, remarked in a presentation that OGC tended to show a certain amount of "disdain" (I do not remember if that was the actual word used, so I apologize if it is not) for how the scientists in a community think about and use their data, approaches that the community has developed over many decades of experience, and there might well be good reasons for how they approach their science.

I am all for developing and testing a variety of approaches, see what they have in common, and see what actually works the best for providers and users. We have even developed a product that is pretty agnostic to the data service that is being used by the original provider. And it is from our experiences with that product, which both allows us to see how easy it is too write a general client and the speed and other features of the request that causes a lot of my skepticism.

-Roy