Re: [galeon] [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

Ron Lake wrote:
Hi John:

Surely the GML encoding is going to be simpler to parse and "understand" than
any equivalent binary encoding.

parsing XML is "trivial", as you point out, meaning we have lots of nice parsers that do all that for you. But "understanding" GML is non-trivial, to say the least, meaning that the semantics are quite complex, eg judging by the size of the document(s).

parsing binary netCDF is a bit harder, though again we have some nice libraries that already do it for you. Writing your own parser, however, is only a few hundred lines of code, more or less what i mean by "maximally simple".

"understanding" netCDF is much simpler than GML, as there are only 4 or 5 objects in the UML. "understanding" CF Conventions is much more complicated, of course, but arguably easier than GML, partly because the scope is much narrower.

<tangent>IMO, using XML Schema to describe a data model is really painful. although I understand why its done when you want to describe an XML language like GML (I do it myself). But I think its unfortunate, and obscures the model with the representation. </tangent>