From:
wcs-2.0.swg-bounces+max.martinez=erdas.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wcs-2.0.swg-bounces+max.martinez=erdas.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .
org] On Behalf Of Ben Domenico
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:19 PM
To: Peter Baumann
Cc: Unidata Techies; Unidata GALEON; wcs-2.0.swg
Subject: [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

Hello,

Some confusion has resulted from the fact that we are pursuing two
parallel efforts at standardizing CF-netCDF within the OGC.

The first initiative began a few years ago.  The goal is to establish
CF-netCDF as an extension standard for WCS encoding of data in binary
form.   Stefano Nativi just sent out an email announcing the latest
revision of the proposed "discussion paper" on that topic.  This will be
discussed and hopefully voted on at the September/October TC meeting.

At the same time, we have a new initiative to establish CF-netCDF as a
separate  OGC binary encoding standard.    This approach will result in
a binary encoding which can be used with different access protocols,
e.g., WFS or SOS as well as WCS.   Of course, in the long run, our
objective is to tie the two approaches together, but we do not want to
impede progress on either right now by making them formally
interdependent.  A very rough draft of the core standard for CF-netCDF
is on the GALEON wiki at:

http://sites.google.com/site/galeonteam/Home/cf-netcdf-candidate-standar

As you can see, the draft for the OGC core is based on the NASA Earth
Science Data System standard (NASA ESDS-RFC-011v1.00). We hope to have
this candidate standard in the proper OGC template form by the
September/October TC and will have an ad-hoc session at which we plan to
establish a SWG.   Since there is already a large community of practice,
endorsement by other standards groups (NASA and NOAA in the US), and
solid reference implementations, we hope to move forward quickly with
this standard.

We would very much like to have as many liaisons as possible between the
WCS and CF-netCDF working groups to ensure that they are kept in
harmony.